The Epic Games Launcher sometimes has issues getting itself installed, but there are some easy fixes for the 2503 error.
Epic Games is renowned for its very generous weekly free game promotions. Fortnite is the most famous freemium title available at Epic. However, users can’t install the Epic Games Launcher to play its freely available games when the error code 2503 message pops up during installation.
Error 2503 is an installation issue that can occur for Epic Games Launcher and other Windows software. However, that error has been more widely reported to arise for Epic Games Launcher. Let’s explore how you can fix the error 2503 for the Epic Games Launcher on Windows 10 and 11.
1. Download the Epic Games Launcher’s Installer File Again
Error 2503 might occur because the setup file with which you’re trying to install Epic Games Launcher is corrupted in some way. So, try downloading the setup wizard for Epic Games Launcher again. Click the Download button on Epic Game Launcher’s download page to get the latest version of the software. Then try installing the software with the new setup file.
2. Run the Epic Games’ Installer With the Command Prompt
Some users have confirmed they’ve been able to fix error 2503 by installing Epic Games Launcher via the Command Prompt. To do that, you’ll need to run the installer file for Epic Games from an elevated Command Prompt in the following steps:
- Open File Explorer (you can press Win + E to do that).
- Bring up whatever folder includes your downloaded Epic Games Launcher setup file.
- Left-click and drag the EpicInstaller-13.0.0.msi setup file onto the desktop.
- Right-click the EpicInstaller-13.0.0.msi installer file to select its Properties option.
- Copy the location path on the General tab with the Ctrl + C hotkey.
- Press Win + S, and type Command Prompt in the search tool that the hotkey opens.
- Start the Command Prompt with elevated rights by selecting Run as administrator for that app in the search tool.
- Press Ctrl + V to paste the copied location path into the Command Prompt. Then add EpicInstaller-13.3.0.msi (the setup file’s name) to the end of the path as in the screenshot directly below.
- Press Enter to run the setup file.
- Then click Install in the Epic Games Launcher Setup window that opens.
3. Run the Program Install Troubleshooter for Windows 11 & 10
As error 2503 is an installation error, it’s an issue Microsoft’s Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter might fix. However, that troubleshooter isn’t included among those available in Settings. You can download that troubleshooter from the Microsoft website and run it as follows:
- Open the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter download page on Microsoft’s website.
- Click the Download troubleshooter option.
- Open whatever folder the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter downloaded in.
- Double-click MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta to run the troubleshooter.
- Click the Advanced option in the troubleshooter.
- Select the Apply repairs automatically setting, and press Next to continue.
- Choose the Installing option.
- Select the Epic Games Launcher program you’re trying to install on the list and click Next to apply fixes.
4. Scan and Repair the System Files
Corrupted system files might be a cause of the error 2503 installation issue on your PC. So, running a System File Checker scan to repair system files could be a potential solution. This is how you can execute an SFC scan in the Command Prompt:
- Press Win+ S to open the text box for file searching.
- Find Command Prompt by typing cmd within the search text box.
- Right-click Command Prompt in the search utility to select a Run as administrator option for opening that app.
- Run a System File Checker scan by inputting this command text and pressing Return:
- Wait for the scanning to reach the 100 percent mark before closing the Command Prompt’s window.
5. Make Sure the Windows Installer Service Is Running
Windows Installer is a service that assists with the installation of software. So, that’s one service you should check is running before trying to install Epic Games Launcher. These are the steps for starting Windows Installer:
- Open the Services app by pressing Win + R then typing in “services.msc” and pressing Enter.
- Double-click the Windows Installer service.
- Click Start to run Windows Installer.
- Then press OK to exit the window.
- Try installing the Epic Games Launcher again.
6. Assign Full Control to the Temp and Windows Installer Folders
Users have said assigning full control permissions to the Temp and Windows Installer folders can resolve error 2503. Changing folder permissions might not be the most straightforward resolution to apply, but that’s a likely potential fix. Follow these steps to assign full control to the Temp and Windows Installer folders:
- Select the File Explorer taskbar button.
- Click See more and Options in Windows 11’s File Explorer app. In Windows 10, you’ll need to click Options on Explorer’s View tab.
- Select the radio button for the Show hidden files, folders or drives option.
- Deselect the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) setting.
- Click Apply to save those Explorer options.
- Select OK to close Folder Options.
- Open the C:\Windows folder.
- Right-click the Temp folder to select the Properties option.
- Select Security on the Temp Properties window.
- Click Advanced to bring up security settings.
- Press the Continue button.
- Select the user account (computer name) you’re using.
- Click the Add option.
- Then click the Select a principle navigation option.
- Type Everyone in the object name box.
- Select the Check Names option, and click the OK button.
- Next, select the Full control checkbox and click OK.
- Press the Apply and Yes buttons.
- Then click the OK options to exit the windows.
- Repeat the steps above for the Installer folder in the Windows directory.
7. Reregister the Windows Installer Service
If the Windows Installer service isn’t working right, reregistering it could be a solution for error 2503. You can reregister that service in the Command Prompt like this:
- Open your Command Prompt app as outlined in steps six and seven of the second resolution.
- This is the command you need to enter to unregister Windows Installer:
- Press Enter to execute the command for unregistering the service.
- To register the service, input the following text and press Return:
- Restart Windows 11/10 after running the above commands.
8. Install Epic Games After Clean-Booting Windows
To ensure there aren’t any third-party programs or services conflicting with Epic Games Launcher’s installation process, try clean-booting Windows. Configuring a clean boot disables unneeded third-party startup programs and services. This is how you configure a clean boot with MSConfig in Windows 11 and 10.
- Start the Run dialog by holding down the Windows key and pressing R.
- Type the msconfig Run command in the text box and hit Return.
- To disable startup programs, deselect the General tab’s Load startup setting.
- Select the Hide all Microsoft services setting on MSConfig’s Services tab.
- Then click Disable all to uncheck all the checkboxes for all the unneeded third-party services.
- Select Apply to confirm the new boot configuration.
- Click OK to close down System Configuration, and select Restart when prompted.
- Install Epic Games Launcher after clean-booting Windows.
If you can then install Epic Games Launcher without any issues, you can restore your PC’s original boot settings afterward. However, remember that error 2503 can arise when trying to install other software as well. To restore all startup programs and services, select the Load startup items and Enable all options within MSConfig and click Apply.
Have Fun With the Epic Games Launcher Again
There’s a good (but not necessarily guaranteed) chance that those potential resolutions will fix the Epic Games Launcher install error 2503 on your PC. Some of those possible fixes can also resolve the error 2503 issue for other Windows software. With that issue fixed, you’ll be able to install Epic Games Launcher and play Fortnite and all its other freemium titles.